THANKSGIVING FOR ONE
Have circumstances ever left you alone on a holiday? Well, today is my first Thanksgiving without being at a huge family dinner.
Do not feel sorry for me. I have actually been looking forward to this day.
I just woke up, but I’m planning on a very self-absorbed day:
· Instead of fixing a pot of coffee for one, I just made myself a triple espresso with my handy dandy Nespresso machine -- that’ll jack me up.
· I think I will stay in my pajamas all day long…an old pair of soft, loose Gilligan O’Malley bottoms and a pullover hoodie.
· I plan to play a little piano which I’m teaching myself to do. I want to learn just one Beatles song, and I’ll consider myself a success.
· A totally good intention, I have, is addressing Christmas cards…I picked up some beautiful cards at Barnes and Noble.
· Home alone with me and those shopping channels – I’ve just convinced myself I need an I-Ring….glad my hub isn’t home to see me order it. I’m changing channels now.
· Sex and the City marathon on the Oxygen channel. I never get tired of those NYC girls.
· My best buddies, two little schnauzers, are here to keep me company.
· And, yes, turkey plus the sides that I love. (No green bean casserole for me, thank you.)
Ok…a glitch just happened to my plan---See the package with the two turkey legs? I pulled them out to throw them in the crockpot and they are still frozen solid. SOLID! It is Thanksgiving and I want turkey. The alternative is oyster stew for which I have all the ingredients, but no, turkey has been on my agenda for a good two weeks.
So much for the “staying in my pajamas” all day plan. I took a shower, got dressed and headed to the grocery. (I clean up and look pretty decent, just to find that everyone else wears pajamas to the market on Thanksgiving morning. I judge not, though, because I looked down to see my Birkenstocks and black socks….hope I don’t see anyone I know. Actually, I did see a co-worker. I ran the other way and got out of the store more than fast
The deli had sliced rotisserie turkey. Four slices please. Then, on my way home.
Thank you, Sweet Baby Jesus! Starbucks is open. I might as well. …shoot, it’s crowded; everyone is there….almost like a party atmosphere. Grande Flat White to go. It is always a good day when I can have a Flat White.
(Plus, I picked up a slice of Starbucks’ gingerbread loaf for a little dessert tonight. Smells fabulous.)
Back to the feast: As you can also tell from my blog pic, Bob Evans is my personal chef for the day.
I’m just going to doctor the dressing a little with more of this and that; and put together a little sweet potato casserole...it must have butter, brown sugar, marshmallows and pecans. Nuke all the rest and dinner is served. (I can’t believe I’ve used a whole stick of butter for this little event…damn. I’ll count the WW points later.)
Which bottle of wine do I choose…? White, right? I told my hub to leave me some white…and he certainly did.
I think it is appropriate to use the china and crystal. (Where are my linen napkins? Oh...forget about it. Dogs don’t mind paper napkins.) Look, I even lit a candle. …say a little grace as my parents taught me and dig in. Not bad for a Home Alone Thanksgiving. Quite nice, actually.
Happy Thanksgiving Ya’ll. (That is really what we say around here. No joke.)
P.S. Time for my next favorite Thanksgiving thing, The Nap, with my doggies.